Thread: Age Grade Variations

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

Default Age Grade Variations

Can someone help me out with the document from England Rugby at this link:

The variations it mentions aren't given in the Reg 15 Appendices, and none of the coaches I spoke to at my first match of the season knew anything about the document either. Anyone know if when / where the variations in the document apply?

Thanks

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2

Default Re: Age Grade Variations

From the document page 1 I'd say:

When? from August 2021.
    Where U14-U18 in England

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    D&WRURS, HRURS & ARURS
    Grade
    Level 8

It was linked in a recent weekly update. Not at all clear for when it applies, but the document title has a bit of a clue:
    Age Grade Adapted Contact 15s - v1 Jul 21.pdf

There must be some form of the RFU Age Grade game that is playing / wants to play Adapted Contact rugby.

Having worked that out, I gave it a sound ignoring.
    Be reasonable - do it my way.

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9

Never got circulated or communicated to me, I did find it by accident though and when queried someone suggested that it wasn’t supposed to be published yet. Best guess was that it was an option for late August contact games as a transition, but round me no one was interested and just wanted to focus on training prior to a September start

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

that document has caused so much confusion!

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by Flish View Post
    Never got circulated or communicated to me, I did find it by accident though and when queried someone suggested that it wasn’t supposed to be published yet. Best guess was that it was an option for late August contact games as a transition, but round me no one was interested and just wanted to focus on training prior to a September start

You need t otake that up with whoever cascades information down to you and your peers.

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wakeham View Post
    You need t otake that up with whoever cascades information down to you and your peers.
    Hah, no one knows, the RFU sends emails out to certain 'roles' at your club on GMS, but no one ever seems to receive them, or the wrong people get the wrong things, following social media channels is the safest bet. If this one did get circulated it was long after the document was actually published, and already being ignored at my end.

ELRA/Club Referee

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

The Society put on a briefing at my club yesterday on the new law trials and age grade changes and these were not included. They did mention the change of tackle height for age grade rugby (arm pit level) except those counties trialling no tackles above waist height but I think that was the only age grade related change.

Interestingly, and apologies for bringing this up again, they are instructing referees that the 50:22 cannot happen from a free-kick. I did query that but was told that was the answer they got when they asked the question.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

Quote Originally Posted by Jz558 View Post

Interestingly, and apologies for bringing this up again, they are instructing referees that the 50:22 cannot happen from a free-kick. I did query that but was told that was the answer they got when they asked the question.
    sigh ... !

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    D&WRURS, HRURS & ARURS
    Grade
    Level 8

Jz558, your details do not state which Society membership you hold. Presumably within RFU?

The navel/belly-button tackle height is mainly being trialed in 1000+ Association of Colleges matches. Players will be become very adaptable, tackling at one height mid-week and at another at weekends! In these matches the ball carrier will not be allowed "to dip or change their running height into the tackler"; that may well be the harder part of the trial to referee.
    Be reasonable - do it my way.

Thread Information