Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Age Grade Variations

ELRA/Club Referee

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

Default Re: Age Grade Variations

Apologies chbg, yes the society is within the RFU.

I do worry that the situation where schools and colleges are trialling the new tackling laws whilst most counties/clubs are not may also lead to a further exodus of youth players from clubs at a time when we could really do without any further disruption. We already lose players in the pre-Christmas period as they are not permitted to play on Saturday for the school and Sunday for the Club and so school generally takes priority and, following the pandemic, we are seeing fewer players return, although those that do seems twice as keen as before.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    (South) Yorkshire Referee's Society
    Grade
    Level 7

I'm not sure whether it says more about me. I was cascaded a link to Age Grade variations but I ended up in GMS and it ground to a halt and I never read what was in there - I assume the document referenced in the opening post.

Anyway. All that would have been ok had I not had a public school game last week.

The only reason I mention public school is because I'd like to think that because they usually have a DoR type running the first team (I had an ex England and ex Wales player as my two coaches) and usually practice/train like there's no tomorrow.

To cut to the chase "both" (one really) coaches briefed me on most of the content which I manged to get right. We had uncontested scrums as they claimed (probably with justification) that they hadn't had enough time to practice. I just did CBS as normal as neither coach mentioned this crouching one after the other protocol. Is it an issue having a team crouching for 10 seconds longer than their oppos? Stability?

Some points from my game vs the document.

I gave a scrum for a forward pass - just one not a biggie.

Where's the stuff about tackle height? We did it as below armpits. They (the coaches) had mentioned that they had started on adapting to below waist and it was proving a bit of challenge.

The document says a scrum for held up in goal but that is at odds with the new GLDO stuff?? Didn't arise so no matter.

I did the maul stuff and the FK stuff ok (I thought) and the coaches never mentioned it.

Ironically given a lot of this is geared towards concussion/head contact we had 3 leave the field for bangs on the head, two lads graduated with honours from the Leigh Halfpenny Academy of how to tackle with your head in the wrong place and one banged his head on the ground falling over.

Is the document valid then?

We have a Society meeting this week. I may mention it so my colleagues don't look as stupid I did(?)
    It's like a big tide of jam coming towards us, but jam made out of old women......Father Dougal McGuire 1998

ELRA/Club Referee

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

I gather from what you say that both schools were expecting to play to these variations?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Grade
    Level 7

Quote Originally Posted by Jz558 View Post
    I gather from what you say that both schools were expecting to play to these variations?
    Yep.

I admit I was ready for tackle height and all the GLDO stuff but I was caught unawares about the FK for KO and FP and the scrum "assembling" protocol which they never mentioned. I don't know if they didn't bacuse they didn't know or because we had already agreed to go UC scrums. I must admit had I known it would have been a bit of palaver doing all that for a UC scrum but what if someone got hurt?

Like I say is the document "a thing?"
    It's like a big tide of jam coming towards us, but jam made out of old women......Father Dougal McGuire 1998

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9

Just to be clear, that document was published under the ‘Summer Activity’ guidance and only applied until September 4th, hence why everyone ignored it.

we are now back to normal Age Grade laws, but lowered tackle height / law trials / not progressing to next age till January ‘normality’ now, so ignore that doc!

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Grade
    Level 7

Quote Originally Posted by Flish View Post
    Just to be clear, that document was published under the ‘Summer Activity’ guidance and only applied until September 4th, hence why everyone ignored it.

we are now back to normal Age Grade laws, but lowered tackle height / law trials / not progressing to next age till January ‘normality’ now, so ignore that doc!
    Thanks.

I think.

I will check it out (like a funk soul brother) at the Society meeting.

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Lifeson-Peart View Post
    Thanks.

I think.

I will check it out (like a funk soul brother) at the Society meeting.
    Be prepared for a full on "What you talkin bout willis" ;-)

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire and Royal Navy
    Grade
    Blog Entries

That document only applied until the end of August.
    It was an interim set of instruction prior to full rugby coming back.

Follow my Award Winning blog The Rugby Ref

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Grade
    Level 7

Quote Originally Posted by Phil E View Post
    That document only applied until the end of August.
    It was an interim set of instruction prior to full rugby coming back.
    Is there an echo in here?

Thanks Phil.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire and Royal Navy
    Grade
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Lifeson-Peart View Post
    Is there an echo in here?

Thanks Phil.
    echo, echo, echo...

Follow my Award Winning blog The Rugby Ref

Thread Information