Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Line out maul

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    London Society
    Grade
    Level 7

Default Re: Line out maul

Agree re confusion all round. The reason I ask is I was asked in my first game back after 18 months and was a bit lost on what to answer. Luckily they always competed. Ive a team this week who always try to play silly bu**ers and I fully anticipate their coach thinking hes found the competitive edge.

I think my answer is not to call line out over too quickly and hence give everyone time to sort out the situation.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire and Royal Navy
    Grade
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lawsons View Post
    What am I missing?

Line out to blue. Red don’t engage. Blue bring the ball down and form their mail. This would happen immediately. Ball at the front.

Under the new one person latched law, I assume they must either delatch to one person prior to a tackler engaging or run the risk of being penalised?

Doesn’t this negate the maul from the line out ?
    This came up at our training day with C M-K

Advice was that if Red don't engage, there's nearly always someone that steps back, so that's the first offence, leaving the lineout early.
    If they do manage to part like the red sea without leaving the line out then the man at the front has one chance to detach or pass the ball away before getting pinged (it should only happen once).

Prior to the new latching law this ball at the front group of players was free to trundle down the pitch until the man at the front was tackled or a maul formed.
    Last edited by Phil E; 17-09-21 at 08:09.

Follow my Award Winning blog The Rugby Ref

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

Quote Originally Posted by Phil E View Post
    This came up at our training day with KM-K

Advice was that if Red don't engage, there's nearly always someone that steps back, so that's the first offence, leaving the lineout early.
    If they do manage to part like the red sea without leaving the line out then the man at the front has one chance to detach or pass the ball away before getting pinged (it should only happen once).

Prior to the new latching law this ball at the front group of players was free to trundle down the pitch until the man at the front was tackled or a maul formed.
    That makes a lot of sense to me.
    That was Craig Maxwell Keys ? He is good at clarity

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Leics
    Grade
    NLMOT PR

Did he say what type of ‘ping’? Penalty?

ELRA/Club Referee

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

Ha ha, did he mention which side were likely to leave the line-out first? My money would be on the throwing side to ensure the maul is in place when the catcher returns to the deck but I guess he didn't mean that. Good job its Friday, my cynicism level is in need of a weekend reset
    Last edited by Phil E; 17-09-21 at 08:09. Reason: formatting

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Grade
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jz558 View Post

Ha ha, did he mention which side were likely to leave the line-out first? My money would be on the throwing side to ensure the maul is in place when the catcher returns to the deck but I guess he didn't mean that. Good job its Friday, my cynicism level is in need of a weekend reset
    The throwing in side are allowed to leave the lineout to be in a position to receive the ball. See Law 29.18.d

Once the lineout has commenced, any player in the lineout may :
    d. Leave the lineout so as to be in a position to receive the ball, provided they remain within 10 metres of the mark of touch and they keep moving until the lineout is over. Sanction: Free-kick.

Note: it doesn't say they have to actually receive the ball, just be in a position to do so.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Grade
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Balones View Post
    Did he say what type of ‘ping’? Penalty?
    Penalty for leaving the lineout or penalty for a flying wedge/too many latchers/mini scrum

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

The throwing in side are allowed to leave the lineout to be in a position to receive the ball. See Law 29.18.d

d. Leave the lineout so as to be in a position to receive the ball, provided they remain within 10 metres of the mark of touch and they keep moving until the lineout is over. Sanction: Free-kick.

that applies to both teams doesn't it ?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Cumbria Referees Society
    Grade

Note: it doesn't say they have to actually receive the ball, just be in a position to do so.
    That is a really badly written law. "providing they keep moving"! what does that mean? They can't stand still? I guess it is written on the assumption that one player will take up the traditional scrum half position but it doesn't actually say that.
    Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Cumbria -The North
    Grade
    Advisor/Assessor

It was to allow a "Peeler". We did have a spell of 'musical chairs' a few years back to confuse the opposition but we all came to believe that it looked silly, and it died a natural death
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
    (Groucho Marx)

Thread Information