Thread: Line out maul

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire and Royal Navy
    Grade
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Line out maul

Quote Originally Posted by ctrainor View Post
    That is a really badly written law. "providing they keep moving"! what does that mean? They can't stand still? I guess it is written on the assumption that one player will take up the traditional scrum half position but it doesn't actually say that.
    Well the team that wins the ball really, you can't be in a position to receive a ball that the opposition jumper has under control.

Follow my Award Winning blog The Rugby Ref

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach

Quote Originally Posted by Flish View Post
    This is a very rare scenario, assuming the ball has stayed at the front (default line out maul setup means it probably hasn’t),
    I suspect any team with more than a soupcon of nous is alreday/has already worked on not slipping the ball post catch and land until sure oppo contact is made. For several years now youd be foolish to do so given the common knowledge of "not enganging immediately".

didds

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    TRU
    Grade
    Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by didds View Post
    I suspect any team with more than a soupcon of nous is alreday/has already worked on not slipping the ball post catch and land until sure oppo contact is made. For several years now youd be foolish to do so given the common knowledge of "not enganging immediately".

didds
    Except you see it regularly on TV and as such, referees in the weeds get pressure to let it go in favour of a flowing match.

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach

Quote Originally Posted by Jarrod Burton View Post
    Except you see it regularly on TV and as such, referees in the weeds get pressure to let it go in favour of a flowing match.
    all i can say then is if in TV rugby the ball is slipped with no contact made, then contact is made and a PK not awarded then this is just TV rugby whistling, and like so much else at that level it stuffs grass roots refs who blow the laws as written etc etc

didds
    Last edited by didds; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:09.

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9

This thread, so if happens call to use it (once) then PK https://www.rugbyrefs.com/showthread...latch+line+out

Thread Information