I, for one, like Roman numerals

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2

Default Re: thoughts on this one

THE OPPOSING TEAM AT A CONVERSION
    14. All opposing players retire to their goal line and do not overstep that line until the kicker
    begins the approach to kick.
    When the kicker does this, they may charge or jump to
    prevent a goal but must not be physically supported by other players in these actions.

Sanction : If the opposing team at a conversion attempt infringes but the kick is successful,
    the goal stands. If the kick is unsuccessful, the kicker retakes the conversion and the opposing
    team is not allowed to charge. When another kick is allowed, the kicker may repeat all the
    preparations. The kicker may change the type of kick.

Interesting one.

The kicker had only two other goal kicks in the game... both of them conversions of the first two tries, and on both previous occasions, he did not take that sideways step. However, those tries were both scored closer to the posts, and I know that a lot of kickers don't go through their whole routine for the "easier" kicks.

Whether or not you think the referee got this right or wrong will probably depend on your judgement of whether the kicker's step was him beginning the appraoch to kick.

IMO, the approach to kick needs to be a clear and obvious step to towards the ball, so in this referee's position, I would have allowed the kicker another attempt, with no charge.

NOTE: If I had my way, we would do away with the charge altogether. It serves no useful purpose and its just an unnecessary waste of time - how often do you see a successful charge down? 1 in 200, 500, 1000. (I never saw one i a game I was involved in in my years as a referee and player).
    "You can Google for information, but you can't Google for understanding"
    - Jay Windley

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_Cook View Post
    Whether or not you think the referee got this right or wrong will probably depend on your judgement of whether the kicker's step was him beginning the appraoch to kick.

IMO, the approach to kick needs to be a clear and obvious step to towards the ball, so in this referee's position, I would have allowed the kicker another attempt, with no charge.
    I'm looking at this from a slightly different angle.

I agree that the sideways step wasn't an approach to kick and the defenders were in error to charge when they did.

However, the kicker maintained his position and the referee instructed the defenders to retire to the goal line (which they did). Presumably the kicker could have then recommenced his set up (which he chose not to do). So I'm going with the ref on this one.

Let me ask this as a hypothetical.

Kicker sets up and defenders charge early before kicker has approached to kick. Ref sends them back and tells them no charge. Kicker asks ref if he can set up again and ref agrees.

Kicker completes kick and it misses. Does he get another go? Law would suggest that he does.

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    I'm looking at this from a slightly different angle.

I agree that the sideways step wasn't an approach to kick and the defenders were in error to charge when they did.

However, the kicker maintained his position and the referee instructed the defenders to retire to the goal line (which they did). Presumably the kicker could have then recommenced his set up (which he chose not to do). So I'm going with the ref on this one.

Let me ask this as a hypothetical.

Kicker sets up and defenders charge early before kicker has approached to kick. Ref sends them back and tells them no charge. Kicker asks ref if he can set up again and ref agrees.

Kicker completes kick and it misses. Does he get another go? Law would suggest that he does.

Tough one

Q1. Is the kick "unsuccessful" because the kicker never actually attempted it due to the early charge?

A2. The law does not specify.

Q2. "Ref sends them back and tells them no charge"... Is that what the Laws says?

A2. Will depend on your interpretation of the Law as regards Q1

Now my question. Assuming that a referee does what you suggest... is the countdown clock then restarted? If not, then I can see shenanigans as a result... teams deliberately early charging to put the kicker off, and as a bonus, cutting his time down to prepare, so putting him under pressure to get it done quickly.

As I said... do away with the charge altogether, and all those unnessesary problems evaporate
    "You can Google for information, but you can't Google for understanding"
    - Jay Windley

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Cumbria Referees Society
    Grade

That link doesn't work in NH but the game can be searched on you tube.
    It is a grey area of Law that perhaps needs clarification.
    I've seen this happen many times at my level and have done the same as this ref. Sent them back and no charge if the kicker hasn't started. if you miss you miss but am now doubting myself.
    For the record I've seen quite a few charge downs over the years. Integral part of the game that should be kept.
    Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Cumbria -The North
    Grade
    Advisor/Assessor

Left over from the days of forming a divot for the ball -or a pile of sand, the ball could fall over -the chargers prevented the kick With the new fangled plastic trumpets the ball does not fall over.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
    (Groucho Marx)

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

I am intrigued by this bit
    Sanction: If the opposing team at a conversion attempt infringes but the kick is successful, the goal stands. If the kick is unsuccessful, the kicker retakes the conversion and the opposing team is not allowed to charge.When another kick is allowed, the kicker may repeat all the preparations. The kicker may change the type of kick.

So the kicker could take a quick tap and run ?

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2

Run where? It's a conversion

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade