Default Re: thoughts on this one

pretty arcane then

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Cumbria Referees Society
    Grade

Quote Originally Posted by tim White View Post
    Left over from the days of forming a divot for the ball -or a pile of sand, the ball could fall over -the chargers prevented the kick With the new fangled plastic trumpets the ball does not fall over.
    Ahem, Tim, falls over more especially in windy Cumbria, You should know that.
    Now then should we have the debate about allowing the "Trumpet bringer on" to hold the ball rather than a player which I know is technically the right thing to but just slows the game down
    Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

Quote Originally Posted by ctrainor View Post
    Ahem, Tim, falls over more especially in windy Cumbria, You should know that.
    Now then should we have the debate about allowing the "Trumpet bringer on" to hold the ball rather than a player which I know is technically the right thing to but just slows the game down
    I would welcome a simple 'bringer on of the trumpet'
    my experience is more often than not an unwilling 'searcher for the trumpet' who furiously delves into and underneath the kit bags muttering 'FFS' under his breath , while the oppo captain noisily declaims 'he's only got 90s sir !"

ELRA/Club Referee

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

In general, given the proliferaton of kicking coaches, I am surprised that any professional kicker still has a movement during their set up that could be misinterpreted as the beginning of the approach to kick. In this instance, having placed the ball and retiring, he then moves forward towards the ball before retiring a second time and standing still. Having paused for several seconds, he then has a definite sideways movement before pausing again. I think the defending side would be within their rights to interpret the sideways movement after such a pronounced pause as the "begining of his approach".

As an aside, commentators who don't know the laws are not in themselves problematic providing they dont pretend they do and misquote the laws to the viewing public.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

before long I think WR will make referees give a signal to show that the approach has commenced and they can charge.

like we do at lineouts to say the lineout is over and players can come up

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    before long I think WR will make referees give a signal to show that the approach has commenced and they can charge.

like we do at lineouts to say the lineout is over and players can come up
    To be fair I quite often do this in junior games where it's all a new process, I hold my palm up horizontally in a stop gesture until the kicker begin the approach, if it helps them learn expectations when a good thing IMO

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

I consider any movement by the kicker as the commencement of their approach. There is nothing in the law that says the approach must be forward. If the trigger move is a step back or sideways, then forward, to me they have commenced their approach and defenders are entitled to charge.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

Quote Originally Posted by Zebra1922 View Post
    I consider any movement by the kicker as the commencement of their approach. There is nothing in the law that says the approach must be forward. If the trigger move is a step back or sideways, then forward, to me they have commenced their approach and defenders are entitled to charge.
    I look for feet to move (in any direction) I don't mind the Bigarena

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    TRU
    Grade
    Level 2

We've got a kicker down here who takes an initial step in the same direction each time (left hand side of their body - I'm not sure who coached that into them) and depending on where they are located on the field, that step can be towards the in-goal area, even though its not clearly towards the ball. Step, pause, then approach.
    It often sets the runners off and he whines about it every time. My response - change your style, you've clearly moved towards the in-goal and that looks like an approach to the ball to those guys.

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2

I consider any movement by the kicker as the commencement of their approach. There is nothing in the law that says the approach must be forward.
    Really? I have always use the standard English meaning of "approach"!

approch (transitive verb)
    1a : to draw closer to : approach a destination

If the trigger move is a step back or sideways, then forward, to me they have commenced their approach and defenders are entitled to charge.
    The ball is always between the kicker and the posts, its damned hard to get closer to it if you step away from it, or sideways.

This law is probably unchanged since it was written, when rugby players wore square-toed boots and goal-kickers walked straight back and approached straight in and kicked the ball with the toe, torpedo style.

Then Barry John came along in 1969 and kicked it "soccer" style, changing the way almost every goal-kicker does it.

Fast forward 52 years, and the geniuses at the IRFU/IRB/WR still haven't noticed!
    "You can Google for information, but you can't Google for understanding"
    - Jay Windley

Thread Information