Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2 incidents - Wallabies v Springboks 18/9/21

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    RugbyWA

Default Re: 2 incidents - Wallabies v Springboks 18/9/21

I feel like we are starting to see quite a disconnect between World Rugby, referees and the judiciary. Everyone needs to be singing from the same hymn sheet for foul play.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    TRU
    Grade
    Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_Cook View Post
    "Whilst the Australian player was vulnerable, the contact with the head was not intentional or highly reckless. Wiese was shown to be grabbing for the ball rather than targeting the head of the Australian player. The low force, modest speed, indirect contact and the turning motion used by Weise, meant that the situation was not a highly dangerous one [when compared to the World Rugby examples]."
    That is (in my opinion) an absolute cop out by the judiciary and a disconnect from what we would see/expect at lower levels. Could a player who received a RC for a high shot after having their hand deflect off the ball now argue that I was targeting the ball rather than the players head? And the fact that Weise was turning makes it reckless as he essentially removes/reduces the opportunity to grasp the player or maintain good vision of the contact area.

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by UpandUnder View Post
    I feel like we are starting to see quite a disconnect between World Rugby, referees and the judiciary. Everyone needs to be singing from the same hymn sheet for foul play.
    And much as I disagree with this particular judiciary decision, I also disagree with World Rugby's obsession with outcome driven decision making. As I pointed out to DickieE in another thread, he makes dozens of decisions based on his judgement of intent in every game he referees. Why can't World Rugby trust him to make judgement of intent calls for the rest?

No. Instead, he has to have his hands tied behind his back while he works through some some idiotic bloody flow chart to arrive at the result he probably would have arrived at 99% of the time anyway.

WRT to the thread I mentioned here, I respect Romain Poite's methology for making the decision he did, and the way he went about in.

• no pissing around with flow charts or protocols
    • no endless replays or back & forth with the TMO
    • no consultations with the ARs...

"Ces't Rouge" Tu pars!..... straight from the "Fred Howard Red Card Protocol"

I'd like to think he learned from his mistakes on the 2017 Lions tour.
    Last edited by Ian_Cook; 4 Weeks Ago at 05:09.
    "You can Google for information, but you can't Google for understanding"
    - Jay Windley

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    Central Australian Rugby Referees
    Grade
    B3

Quote Originally Posted by Jarrod Burton View Post
    That is (in my opinion) an absolute cop out by the judiciary and a disconnect from what we would see/expect at lower levels. Could a player who received a RC for a high shot after having their hand deflect off the ball now argue that I was targeting the ball rather than the players head? And the fact that Weise was turning makes it reckless as he essentially removes/reduces the opportunity to grasp the player or maintain good vision of the contact area.
    This smacks to me of an evolving philosophy about how foul play and players are treated. The use of the word intent, and the desire to exculpate players - which strikes me as a deliberate stance - gives me the feeling that SANZAAR Judiciary, and SANZAAR as a whole, are driving in one direction.

This feels to me to be the spiritual cousin of the wanky 20 minute red card.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

Man may do as he will; he may not will what he wills
    Arthur Schopenhauer

Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by SimonSmith View Post
    This smacks to me of an evolving philosophy about how foul play and players are treated. The use of the word intent, and the desire to exculpate players - which strikes me as a deliberate stance - gives me the feeling that SANZAAR Judiciary, and SANZAAR as a whole, are driving in one direction.

This feels to me to be the spiritual cousin of the wanky 20 minute red card.
    Keep in mind its only 20 minutes for the team... the player is still sent off for the rest of the match, and as a result, its really a forced substitution.
    "You can Google for information, but you can't Google for understanding"
    - Jay Windley

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

Keep in mind its only 20 minutes for the team... the player is still sent off for the rest of the match, and as a result, its really a forced substitution.
    a forced substitution with consequences as the player still gets cited / banned as normal ...

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    Central Australian Rugby Referees
    Grade
    B3

I was fully aware of what it was when I called it wanky!
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

Man may do as he will; he may not will what he wills
    Arthur Schopenhauer

Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2

I, for one, like Roman numerals

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

We are moving to an intention based system, which is ok, but by stealth , which is silly

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9

Either way, I stand by my earlier comment, WR need to openly, clearly, communicate what they want us to achieve and how they want us to measure that. Then we can be consistent all the way up, through the entire process, there should not be surprises

Thread Information