Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Am I Jackaling Legally? (Confused Player)

Coach/Referee

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

Default Re: Am I Jackaling Legally? (Confused Player)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarrod Burton View Post
    Much of it is what we are seeing from a single long distance view and based on assumptions that the Jackler is legal in the unseen respects. Or, in the words of a famous Australian, its "It's the vibe of it, It's the Constitution. It's Mabo, It's Justice, It's Law. It's the Vibe and ah, no that's it. It's the vibe. I rest my case."
    Personally I prefer to base my refereeing decisions on what I actually see!

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    TRU
    Grade
    Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by Decorily View Post
    Personally I prefer to base my refereeing decisions on what I actually see!
    Easy to say when you are right there, the comments that I've made are/were based on the view that I had - and I mentioned that in the response to the OP. They asked for opinion based on the footage not full analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarrod Burton View Post
    Not the easiest to see on a small screen but for me based entirely on what I could see from a long way from play:

Player or Coach

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

Hi all,

Played again today, maybe some more footage to feedback on soon.

But mainly I have another question about the breakdown.

Speaking to the ref to clarify how she policed the jackal, she was very specific that she wouldn’t allow any jackal attempt unless the tackler has already rolled away and was clear of the ruck.

Obviously that’s easier said that done in some cases but reading game management guidelines posted earlier i couldn’t see anything that called that point out specifically.

I’m just wondering if I’ve missed the nuance of this breakdown law?

Thanks again for your insight!

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by shiftyuk View Post
    Hi all,

Played again today, maybe some more footage to feedback on soon.

But mainly I have another question about the breakdown.

Speaking to the ref to clarify how she policed the jackal, she was very specific that she wouldn’t allow any jackal attempt unless the tackler has already rolled away and was clear of the ruck.

Obviously that’s easier said that done in some cases but reading game management guidelines posted earlier i couldn’t see anything that called that point out specifically.

I’m just wondering if I’ve missed the nuance of this breakdown law?

Thanks again for your insight!
    Hi. What we are looking for is a fair contest and a part of that is ensuring that the tackled ball carrier has the opportunity to lay the ball back.

Now, if he is hampered in doing so by the tackler's body then the ref will normally try to manage the tackler out of the way.

But if the tackler's body is in the way AND a jackler is legitimately trying to pick up the ball, then the ref really has little choice than to penalise the tackler.
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Player or Coach

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

Thanks Dickie, much appreciated.

Yeah that makes total sense to me. I just had never heard of the tackler being ‘completely clear’ of the ruck area before the jackal attempt was allowed which is why i wanted to raise it here for my own understanding.

I can think of two occasions where I had hands on the ball (if memory hopefully serves me well, did not touch the ground before hand, lessons learnt but was told ‘hands off’.

Ill maybe post some side line footage soon if folks still are happy to provide feedback.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2

Yeah that makes total sense to me. I just had never heard of the tackler being ‘completely clear’ of the ruck area before the jackal attempt was allowed which is why i wanted to raise it here for my own understanding.
    each ref has their own sense of what needs to happen in this very dynamic situation. Some refs will not necessarily be looking for 'completely clear', but all will want to ensure the tackler's body is not having a material impact.
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire and Royal Navy
    Grade
    Blog Entries

What refs should be looking for in order is:
    1. Tackler releases and moves away from the tackles player to allow...
    2. Ball carrier must make the ball available by placing or passing the ball....
    3. Other players (including jacklers) arrive on their feet from their own side and stay on their feet.

Referees will generally not move to 2 until 1 is completed, not move to 3 until 2 is completed.
    So if 1 hasn't happened (as Dickie said) it doesn't matter how good 3 is, you probably won't get the decision, or be told to release.

Referees will always try to manage away penalties to keep the game flowing unless its blatant. They will do this by instructing players to ; roll away, hands away, etc.

Follow my Award Winning blog The Rugby Ref

Thread Information