Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Am I Jackaling Legally? (Confused Player)

Player or Coach

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

Question Am I Jackaling Legally? (Confused Player)

Hi,

I was pinged at the weekend on nearly all of my jackal attempts because the ref couldn't see me in ''clear control'' of the ball. Which I can somewhat understand when the game is moving at a decent pace, is it wrong to assume there is some leniency given to the defending side?

I'm not looking to criticize the referee (said in a referee forum I'm looking to clarify if my understanding of the laws are incorrect.

Some real life examples from that game:

First man there, on my feet, competing for the ball, opponent landed on the wrong side.
    https://youtu.be/5xKLZY88t1E?t=76

Was the tackler, effort made to get back on feet and through the gate, competing for the ball and told to release, which I did.
    https://youtu.be/5xKLZY88t1E?t=1006

First man, on my feet, hands on the ball and told to release, which I did.
    https://youtu.be/5xKLZY88t1E?t=2282

Thanks for additional insight anyone can provide, at the moment I'm just confused.

Cheers

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    TRU
    Grade
    Level 2

Default Re: Am I Jackaling Legally? (Confused Player)

Not the easiest to see on a small screen but for me based entirely on what I could see from a long way from play:
    1. You had hands on the ground (bridged) before pulling them towards you and onto the player. Maybe a holding on PK against the ball carrier given his body position and the ball not appearing - but you didn't have a shot at the ball for mine - with me you don't get a PK if you aren't having a realistic crack at the ball.
    2. Doesn't look like a clear release for me, but that you just spun your body over the BC with hands/body over the ball still - was the release you gave clear because I certainly couldn't see it.
    3. Of the three this looks the best - but your head is much lower than your hips and I'd be wondering if you were supporting your weight - if you were I'd say this was the best jackle of the lot.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    D&WRURS, HRURS & ARURS
    Grade
    Level 8

Page 1 of http://assets.usarugby.org/docs/refe...=1632196894774 is how the breakdown in USA should be played and refereed.
    Be reasonable - do it my way.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2

1. sorry, couldn't see much
    2. agree with Jarrod. No clear release is what I would call. But it is a good effort by you and on another day you might have won the penalty
    3. also probably agree with Jarrod - looks like weight has gone onto hands. But irrespective of that, I would have had a problem with the tackler not rolling away. By that, I mean that the tackler's actions per se weren't necessarily a problem but if there is a jackle happening at the same time, the presence of the tackler is going to be material.

Generally speaking, there would be an expectation that the team in possession will maintain possession at the breakdown 9 times out of 10. So to win the turnover, you have to get a whole lot of things right at the same time.
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire and Royal Navy
    Grade
    Blog Entries

Agree with all the above.
    1. Hands on floor past the ball. Potential PK Off Feet
    2. No clear release. Potential PK Not releasing.
    3. Hands on floor and tackler not rolling away giving you an unfair advantage. Potential PK Not rolling.

Follow my Award Winning blog The Rugby Ref

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    OXON
    Grade
    Level 9

Agree with 1 and 2 - I think they are a bit harsh on 3, the tackler was slow to roll but not sure he has materiality. I would also add that it depends on the level you are playing at. I would expect a much cleaner ruck at higher level.

Player or Coach

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

Appreciate the feedback and your perspectives!

I think the key thing I need to work on is to make sure I never touch the ground before I manage to get hands to the ball.

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9

Quote Originally Posted by shiftyuk View Post
    Appreciate the feedback and your perspectives!

I think the key thing I need to work on is to make sure I never touch the ground before I manage to get hands to the ball.
    Yup, used to be ok / tolerated / not penalised, not so much now. Same goes for show you are trying to lift and use the ball, not just get hands on and win a pen

Player or Coach

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

Re-watching the tape I found another instance, at this point I think i was counting in my head up to 5 seconds, if the ref didn't call it I had done something incorrect so just let go.

Tackler, clear release, on feet, def attempting to get the ball (and didn't touch the floor this time
    https://youtu.be/5xKLZY88t1E?t=1563

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    TRU
    Grade
    Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by shiftyuk View Post
    Re-watching the tape I found another instance, at this point I think i was counting in my head up to 5 seconds, if the ref didn't call it I had done something incorrect so just let go.

Tackler, clear release, on feet, def attempting to get the ball (and didn't touch the floor this time
    https://youtu.be/5xKLZY88t1E?t=1563
    I would have given you that one, clear release, BC/tackled player over the ball (squeeze ball position).

Thread Information