Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 43

Thread: Goal line DO vs Scrum 5

      
  1. #11

    Referees in England
    chbg's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    D&WRURS, HRURS & ARURS
    Grade
    Level 8
    Join Date
    15 May 09
    Posts
    1,186

    Default Re: Goal line DO vs Scrum 5

    Quote Originally Posted by Decorily View Post
    My understanding is that the ball must be taken in to the ingoal by the attacking team.
    Law 12 specifies so!Attachment 4249[ATTA
    Congratulations World Rugby! Laws 12.12a and 21.16 are not consistent.

    Given that 12.12a as written can be considered as a sub-set of 21.16, and does not state 'an attacking player only', and moreover Law 21 has used "a player" since (at least) 2018, we should remain consistent ourselves and follow 21.16.
    Be reasonable - do it my way.

  2. #12
    Rugby Club Member Flish's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9
    Join Date
    02 Sep 13
    Posts
    1,347

    Default Re: Goal line DO vs Scrum 5

    FFS ��*♂️ I only looked at law 21 when I commented above, I thought I had a nice clear answer to the question posed above, silly me!

  3. #13

    Referees in England


    Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Join Date
    14 Sep 09
    Posts
    19,372

    Default Re: Goal line DO vs Scrum 5

    Quote Originally Posted by chbg View Post
    Congratulations World Rugby! Laws 12.12a and 21.16 are not consistent.

    Given that 12.12a as written can be considered as a sub-set of 21.16, and does not state 'an attacking player only', and moreover Law 21 has used "a player" since (at least) 2018, we should remain consistent ourselves and follow 21.16.
    they are not really inconsistent

    21.16 says: when it is held up it's a goal line dropout

    12.12a is redundant, of course, but is not inconsistent.

  4. #14

    Referees in England
    chbg's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    D&WRURS, HRURS & ARURS
    Grade
    Level 8
    Join Date
    15 May 09
    Posts
    1,186

    Default Re: Goal line DO vs Scrum 5

    Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    they are not really inconsistent

    21.16 says: when it is held up it's a goal line dropout

    12.12a is redundant, of course, but is not inconsistent.
    If that is your definition of consistency ...

    It is certainly not wholly consistent, and thus can lead, as so amply shown by Decorily, to an incorrect conclusion and possibly decision.
    Be reasonable - do it my way.

  5. #15
    Rugby Club Member Flish's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9
    Join Date
    02 Sep 13
    Posts
    1,347

    Default Re: Goal line DO vs Scrum 5

    Agree, if you're looking for 'what if attacking player takes it in and his held up' it's not inconsistent, if you're looking for a defending player as the thread suggested, then about as much use as a chocolate fireguard

  6. #16

    Referees in England


    Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Join Date
    14 Sep 09
    Posts
    19,372

    Default Re: Goal line DO vs Scrum 5

    Quote Originally Posted by Flish View Post
    if you're looking for a defending player as the thread suggested, then about as much use as a chocolate fireguard
    well, you might find 12.12 and that's doesn't help as it's a different scenario so keep looking and find 21.16 which would tell you it's a GLD.

    but it's not ideal, I agree.

  7. #17

    Referees in Australia
    Dickie E's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Join Date
    19 Jan 07
    Posts
    13,259
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

  8. #18

    Referees in England


    Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Join Date
    14 Sep 09
    Posts
    19,372

    Default Re: Goal line DO vs Scrum 5

    It's interesting, isn't it? They trialled this Law didn't they ? I guess they didn't see many drop goals in the trial.

    So teams need to do shorter GLD, so as to be able to chase them down closely ?

  9. #19

    Referees in England
    Phil E's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire and Royal Navy
    Grade
    8
    Join Date
    22 Jan 08
    Posts
    15,289
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Goal line DO vs Scrum 5

    So as a Society we wrote to laws@rfu.com for clarification on Held Up.

    (some of you will accept this some of you wont, but I'm just telling you what we have been told)

    The answer, backed up by our resident PRL Referee was this.

    It depends on who took the ball into in-goal.

    Taken in by an attacker and held up = GLD
    This is regardless of who is held up with the ball (attacker or defender).
    Taken in by a defender and held up = 5m attacking scrum

    Follow my Award Winning blog The Rugby Ref


  10. #20
    Rugby Club Member

    Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2
    Join Date
    05 Jan 18
    Posts
    2,214

    Default Re: Goal line DO vs Scrum 5

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil E View Post
    So as a Society we wrote to laws@rfu.com for clarification on Held Up.

    (some of you will accept this some of you wont, but I'm just telling you what we have been told)

    The answer, backed up by our resident PRL Referee was this.

    It depends on who took the ball into in-goal.

    Taken in by an attacker and held up = GLD
    This is regardless of who is held up with the ball (attacker or defender).
    Taken in by a defender and held up = 5m attacking scrum
    Seems to be in line with the WRU.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •