Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Playing the ball while on the floor not been tackled?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

Default Re: Playing the ball while on the floor not been tackled?

Quote Originally Posted by Jarrod Burton View Post
    I understand wanting to avoid being a jobsworth and partially agree, but for me, it was a skill error which may have allowed the opponent the opportunity for a line break was prevented by a player on the floor who reached for the ball and played it. PK. There was a definite second effort to reach the spilled ball.
    yes, you could go that way, certainly.
    For u14s? or for adults?

ELRA/Club Referee

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

In this instance I think his actions potentially denied the opposition possession and even at U14s I would probably penalise this (and explain to them why). Had there been no member of the opposition close I would have let it go. When reffing lower age groups if I let things go that I think are immaterial I try to find an opportunity soon after to explain my reasoning. I find if you just let things go without some explanation it can lead to tension. No side, however young, ever think you are refereeing with empathy, they just see when you let the oppositon get away with stuff but dont credit you when you do the same for them.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 8 and Advisor

It used to be that permission to play the ball off the ground depended on how you got there. If you just fell over in open play and the ball came to you, you were like a normal player, but if it was the result of being in a tackle or in contact, you couldn't play till getting back on your feet. Then I reckon it changed to a blanket ban on playing the ball on the ground. Have I got that right? This is all separate to players with the ball in hand going to ground for any reason.

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9

Quote Originally Posted by Blackberry View Post
    It used to be that permission to play the ball off the ground depended on how you got there. If you just fell over in open play and the ball came to you, you were like a normal player, but if it was the result of being in a tackle or in contact, you couldn't play till getting back on your feet. Then I reckon it changed to a blanket ban on playing the ball on the ground. Have I got that right? This is all separate to players with the ball in hand going to ground for any reason.
    The law is clear, how it's policed not so much, I have seen plenty off elite games where a player on the ground has grabbed and popped the ball when he shouldn't (in law) but is allowed (for entertainment) - it doesn't help us muggles much in the sticks!

Thread Information