Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: When is a flying wedge a maul...a maul a flying wedge....or....?

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach

Default Re: When is a flying wedge a maul...a maul a flying wedge....or....?

ah - yes. indeed. ball at the back =play the ball away. Thanks - mea culpa

So we have a clash between what is being mooted (ball at the font = immediate PK) and what Mark has posted from 2014, possibly changed.

So in fact the catching team now have the obvious call of immediately passing the ball to the back such that they end up at worst playing the ball away and at best the oppo create a maul and away they go as hoped. So the catchers thus get double bubble.

Got it.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    TRU
    Grade
    Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by ctrainor View Post
    Easy yellow card for the tackler, Dangerous play pulling the maul down.
    Not a maul until after the tackler binds.
    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Soc/Assoc
    Cumbria Referees Society
    Grade

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wakeham View Post
    How can you pull a maul down that does not exist?
    We were talking about a maul that had formed and the opposition had fallen away/disengaged so it is still a maul.
    Ciaran Trainor

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach

were we?

Oh...

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by ctrainor View Post
    We were talking about a maul that had formed and the opposition had fallen away/disengaged so it is still a maul.
    Well actually we started with:
    The …”difference from a maul and a flying wedge under the new laws.” Post one
    We moved to:
    “A maul which no longer has any defenders bound is still a maul even though it may look wrong!” post three
    And to:
    “There is a discussion online at the moment (USR Referees Facebook page) regarding a would be maul at the lineout where the defenders don't engage.
    So attackers try to form a maul, but the defenders step aside (legally) and don't engage to make it a maul.
    The ball is at the front.

As I understand it the USA game management guidelines say this is not a flying wedge and the attackers can move forward without penalty.
    The defenders have to form a maul or tackle the ball carrier to stop it.” Post 4

The thread has generally be on that topic hereafter.

USA Game management is in line with the ruling I quoted. Whether that ruling still applies is questionable as it is no longer on the WR site.

What we don’t have is what should be done if we get a stand off with the ball at the front and a refusal of either side to do anything.

Do we just give it time and eventually go to “ The referee awards a scrum for any other reason not covered in law” So Scrum to side going forward in neither team was moving forward the attacking (as defined in law) team”

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach

"like" for Mark

ELRA/Club Referee

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

What we don’t have is what should be done if we get a stand off with the ball at the front and a refusal of either side to do anything.

Do we just give it time and eventually go to “ The referee awards a scrum for any other reason not covered in law” So Scrum to side going forward in neither team was moving forward the attacking (as defined in law) team”[/QUOTE]

Surely thats exactly what we do have with the new latching laws which must supercede previous guidance on non engagemment of a maul. (and I think in another thread Phil E said the advice his society received from CMK was that the player at the front, in possession had one opportunity to play the ball away otherwise penlty for pre-latching).

Advises in England

Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)

Quote Originally Posted by Jz558 View Post
    [...] supercede[...]
    (Pedant's Corner) Years ago, when we had typists instead of computer screens, I wrote a program summary using the word "supersede" and sent it to the typists. It returned with the (non-)word "supercede". I corrected it and sent it back, along with a couple of other changes. No luck, so I went to see the typists and explained it should be spelled with an "s". "No," she said - "I'll show you the dictionary." Pause while she looked it up. "Oh - the dictionary's got it wrong!" Her colleague laughed, but I simply shrugged..

Did it matter? Not really from the sense point of view. It was a trivial error, but an amusing reaction.
    He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire and Royal Navy
    Grade
    Blog Entries

I am sure there was a situation like this over the weekend and the Referee shouted "Break Away".
    Can't remember which game though?

Follow my Award Winning blog The Rugby Ref

Thread Information