Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ball kicked hits overhanging tree branch and falls back onto pitch

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    London Society
    Grade
    Level 8

Question Ball kicked hits overhanging tree branch and falls back onto pitch

Crikey ! Thought I'd seen everything in my many years reffing but first time for everything.
    I did a game from the weekend, quite a low level. But a private sports ground (not a public park) hence would have expected better grounds-keeping.
    We were on a different pitch to usual for some reason - which had a few of oak trees which were quite a way away from the touchline but, had substantial branches reaching over the pitch. Didnt even notice it or think about it in my pre-match pitch walk-around.
    Law of sod applies as a PK is taken to kick for touch, ball travels high and is clearly heading over the touchline when it hits the branch and bounces back into the field of play. The non-kicking team immediately start playing on and counter-attacking.
    I blow the whistle and ( dimly remembering the "... or the ball touches anything beyond the touchline" clause), declare that that is "in touch" and the lineout taken in line with where it hit the tree branch.
    Was I wrong ? Should I have allowed them to play on ?

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach

Default Re: Ball kicked hits overhanging tree branch and falls back onto pitch

sounds right to me.

the home team would normally have a solution to this theyd warn you about (and the oppo). it cant have been the oinly time its ever happened.

of course could be it was the home team that caught it and attacked , being cute with the "local ruling" toi see how it would favour them...

Advises in England

Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)

6.9 f

• The ball becomes dead
    • The referee will deem the ball to be dead when:
      • The ball is in touch or touch in-goal.
      • The ball is grounded in in-goal.
      • A conversion has been attempted.
      • A try, penalty or dropped goal has been scored.
      • The ball or ball-carrier touches the dead-ball line or anything beyond it.
      • The ball hits anything above the playing area.

He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    London Society
    Grade
    Level 8

Thanks OB. So how does one restart ?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Leics
    Grade
    NLMOT PR

Quote Originally Posted by CrouchTPEngage View Post
    Has happened to me twice in my playing career. Chip kicked the opposition winger and caught the ball and was clear to score but unfortunately it clipped an overhanging tree. Scrum down, attacking ball. Can’t be anything else can it?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    D&WRURS, HRURS & ARURS
    Grade
    Level 8

Branches overhang the Ellingham & Ringwood 2nd pitch by c 5m. Ball always deemed to be out of play when it hits them, going back seasons and seasons.

Then had it occur on a school's pitch this season. Again just metres from touch. The kick was going out of play before it hit the branches, so we'll take a throw in, as if it had gone out.

Would re-consider if it was a kick from close to touch going towards the middle of the FoP. Scrum to kicking team probably equitable (until they do it for the 4th time!).
    Be reasonable - do it my way.

Advises in England

Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)

19.1 (end) The team that was last moving forward or, if neither team was moving forward, the attacking team.
    He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

Ob is right
    This was a law introduced in the 2017 rewrite

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    London Society
    Grade
    Level 8

Quote Originally Posted by OB.. View Post
    19.1 (end) The team that was last moving forward or, if neither team was moving forward, the attacking team.
    Many thanks. Happy now.
    Learning point for me : Pre-match walk-around needs to include me looking up as well as down :-)

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach

Many thanks. Happy now.
    Learning point for me : Pre-match walk-around needs to include me looking up as well as down :-)
    ... and maybe confirming with the home ref liasion / skipper/ coach / waterboy / passing dog walker if there are any local "gotchas" and "rules".

didds

Thread Information