Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    London (North)
    Grade
    Level 15 - 11

Default Re: Incorrectly taken free kick

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    i have never seen that.
    but there is a widespread convention/belief amongst refs in England that incorrectly taken PK in youth games can be ignored (not universal, and not one I share, but widespread)
    U14 cup game, back when i was coaching, circa 2004. we were playing the best side in the county, but somehow we'd stood toe to toe with them and our national champion 200m runner had scored 2 tries (we played him on the right wing, for obvious reasons). we were 10-5 up, they had a penalty about 10m from our line. their scrum half just tapped the ball on his foot and passed it. ref (experienced society guy) apologetically blew up for a scrum, then called full time.

i don't remember whether this was the first incorrectly taken PK, but i don't recall there being much complaint afterwards. but then it was 17 years ago and i would have been bitterly hungover, so perhaps there was.

(not sure this anecdote added much to the discussion, so thank you for listening to my interesting story)
    Hi. I'm Barry Scott.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

Great story.
    I feel sad because all the refs before that who had let it go, or let him take it again, basically failed him, as they set him up for that mistake in a game that really mattered

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by Phil E View Post
    https://www.englandrugby.com/governa...ns/regulations

Nothing specific but it's hinted at in the second paragraph I have quoted.
    It mentions how to take a FK but not what to do if it's done wrong, so you should revert to law for that.
    Thanks Phil.

Only infringements that affect the oppositions’ play should be sanctioned. If
    there is no effect, advantage should be played wherever it is safe to do so.
    That's a fairly cavalier use of the word "advantage"
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach

Quote Originally Posted by dave_clark View Post
    our national champion 200m runner had scored 2 tries (we played him on the right wing, for obvious reasons).
    Not the left then? ie passes going off dominant right hands leftwards? Unless of course the entres awere both left handed I suppose!

:-)

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    Great story.
    I feel sad because all the refs before that who had let it go, or let him take it again, basically failed him, as they set him up for that mistake in a game that really mattered

This. and his coaches that presumably allowed him to do it unchecked. Unless of course theyd tried and he chose to ignore them (being fair all round!)

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 15 - 11

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wakeham View Post
    I think people need to consider the age of the players. Th OP did not reference age so if we assume we are talking about adults I would say you go straight to the sanction. With kids the RFU has taken a route that says to keep the game going and manage it: Rationalle the kids are learning and, even for a 13/14 year old, it could be one of their first games. So empathise and "coach". Perhaps let it go first time. At he next FK check with the kicker that they understand what to do and make them takie it again if they get it wrong. Work with Kids to help them learn the game.
    I only coach age grade (currently u15) and would not let an incorrectly PK go - as per my previous post, players on the defending team do tend to get angry at any infringement that is ignored. I'm generally happy to allow the player to retake it the first time, however, by u14 and u15 the scrum half typically takes the tap and by this age is rarely a new unexperienced player... in my experience, most of them trying to take a quick PK off the knee know exactly what they are doing and are intentionally trying to get a head start on the defence. You can quickly get a feel whether the scrum half is inexperienced or knows what he is doing (largely based on the amount of lip he gives the ref ).

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2

That is why I said "I think people need to "CONSIDER" the age of the players. I think you can rarely make sweeping catch all judgements that fid every situation. Clearly the RFU wants referees to let it flow "whenever possible".

In Wales we have no such guidence but If I was doing, for example an U9 game I'd look to possibly let the first one go with a following word the second would be called back. and I'd judge the players standard / experience. An Ubder 14 game here is played to youth laws. I'd sanction it straight away. They are no longer playing a rugby varient they're playing the "proper stuff".

Read this other rule from the U11 RFU continumm:

9.D
    Other than from a restart, a free kick or charge down, if from a kick the ball is played in flight by a player of the non-kicking team and knocked forward, a scrum will be awarded to the non-kicking team from where the ball is touched.

A very strange rule to watch and referee for the first few occasions. Having regularly done a couple of festivals across the border it is odd but by the end of the day you get the fell of it.
    Last edited by Marc Wakeham; 1 Week Ago at 20:11.

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9

Ex player parents on the touch line don’t get it, I’ve had some very odd looks in the past.

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wakeham View Post

Read this other rule from the U11 RFU continumm:

9.D
    Other than from a restart, a free kick or charge down, if from a kick the ball is played in flight by a player of the non-kicking team and knocked forward, a scrum will be awarded to the non-kicking team from where the ball is touched.

A very strange rule to watch and referee for the first few occasions. Having regularly done a couple of festivals across the border it is odd but by the end of the day you get the fell of it.
    AIUI its to discourage aimless kicking that has no real purpose or thought etc ... so a kicm that can be caught because it goes near an opponent is (the theory says) a poor kick so it cannot "win" by the attempted catch being a knock on and the kicker's team gain territory and the scrum feed as a result of a poorly directed kick.

thats my understanding anyway

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2

That was how it was explained to us. Very odd but there is a reason behind the RFU thinking. Fair play to them

Thread Information