Thread: Smart Watch App for Refs?

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2

Default Re: Smart Watch App for Refs?

Quote Originally Posted by Jarrod Burton View Post
    Each team is required to keep score via the rugby xplorer app so I just tell them to ask their manager. I do keep a running tally of scores in my head and a paper card in my pocket.
    Not a great deal of use in the 77th minute with a PK 30 mtres out. I want them playing not running to the side to consult.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Grade
    Level 2

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    TRU
    Grade
    Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wakeham View Post
    Not a great deal of use in the 77th minute with a PK 30 mtres out. I want them playing not running to the side to consult.
    Their choice, not mine. I'll tell them my running score but if I have to waste time adding up the actual tally, what's the difference with the team looking to the side line?
    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Grade
    Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by Jarrod Burton View Post
    Their choice, not mine. I'll tell them my running score but if I have to waste time adding up the actual tally, what's the difference with the team looking to the side line?
    Well there is always Law 6.5.c which requires the referee to keep the score. Now I appriciate at the higher level they have people wh odo that for them but At the lower levels we don't. It's the referee's job.

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach

I'm with Mark. I dont see it as a problem for teams to ask - in the community game the ref may be the only person with the score anyway, on pitches with no scoreboard. Even on a pitch with a scoreboard it may be wrong anyway. Im sure weve all been at games where two scoreboards disagree, or arent even being chanmged from last weeks game final score!

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

Quote Originally Posted by Phil E View Post
    I find it quite easy to keep a paper score and use the App.
    The App is my running score and I add up the paper score when there's a stoppage to check against it.
    I have had the App accidentally reset on me once (I probably pressed the touchscreen wrong somehow), so I will always have a paper record as well.
    isn't it quite time consuming to use the app AND paper?

and do you make a note of each PK? (app / paper / both ? ) I am never sure how refs do that when you always have to be ready for a quick tap

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire and Royal Navy
    Grade
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    isn't it quite time consuming to use the app AND paper?

and do you make a note of each PK? (app / paper / both ? ) I am never sure how refs do that when you always have to be ready for a quick tap
    Just takes a few seconds to add the score as we make our way back to the half way line to restart after a score.

Penalty count is easy, you just tap the team and its adds a penalty to their side, if they go quick I just make a mental note and add it later when we slow down. I do miss a few but it gives me a fair indication of the amount of penalties each side is racking up.

Follow my Award Winning blog The Rugby Ref

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    England
    Grade
    Level 7

I wrote this one for Garmin watches. I did it just for myself really but it now has 13000+ downloads. 2 timers, one continuous and one you can start/ stop. Tracks GPS and heartrate. I didn't see the need to keeping score in the app as it gets a bit fiddly and all I really want to know is when time is up. It's a work in progress so happy to receive feedback.

Referee Timer | Garmin Connect IQ

Thread Information