Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wal v Aus: Coach Verbally Attacks Officials

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

Default Wal v Aus: Coach Verbally Attacks Officials

Looks like the Aussie coach might be facing a ban?

... Dave Rennie, the Australia head coach, tearing into referee Mike Adamson and his officials.

"I thought some of the decision-making by the officials tonight was horrendous and played a big part in the result," Rennie raged, referring to Nick Tompkins' second-half try. Tompkins initially appeared to knock on intercepting a pass, only for Adamson to rule that the ball had dropped backwards, with Tompkins racing away to score. Kurtley Beale, the Australia full-back, had been yellow carded for a deliberate knock-on earlier, leading to Rennie's outburst.

Rennie continued: "It clearly goes forward and they get seven points out of us. In 20 years I've never had a crack at a ref - but I feel I had to tonight. We'll end up getting an apology next week, but it won't help the result."

Wales head coach Wayne Pivac responded to Rennie's claim regarding Tompkins' try by saying: "It just goes to show that you can’t switch off and stop. You’ve got to play to the whistle. You tell that to five-year-olds. We were pleased with Nick’s efforts there.

"I don’t think it’s a knock-on personally, nor did the referee, the TMO, the touch judges or anyone in our coaching box. We were obviously quite pleased with that call."

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

Default Re: Wal v Aus: Coach Verbally Attacks Officials

What’s stupid here is the two incidents he is referring to were both correctly refereed. The ball clearly went backwards from Tompkins, and Beale went for the ball, evidenced by the unnatural arm angle for his tackle.

If you’re going to publically criticise a referee at least be right.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    TRU
    Grade
    Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by belladonna View Post
    Looks like the Aussie coach might be facing a ban?
    I think the difference between a post game interview blow up and a calculated preparation of a video, deliberately leaked after an attempt to coerce (or blackmail) the MO with the leak might see Rennie with a few less $ in his pocket while Erasmus is confined to the naughty chair.
    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 8 and Advisor

The coach must have a reason for printing this, but I don't get it. Imagine you were the coach, you saw the replays, you know that a team of four have seen them too, analysed them and then come to a decision which is hard to argue against. Why would you then complain? Is it a job-saving post released to your disappointed supporters / bosses? Was it just a fit of pique? I'm struggling to understand how he will garner support to rubbish two decisions which have been so forensically dissected.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Yet to join
    Grade
    Select Grade

How does someone calculate unnatural arm angle on the spot? Perhaps refer to the treatment of renowned a Sri Lankan bowler.

That aside if you see Beale's head and eyes he never tracks the ball and he even has his eyes closed as he awaits the tackle. Tompkins knows that and throws out a speculative pass and get the ref to buy it

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2

I wonder if the ref will issue a victim impact statement about how he & his family have been traumatised by Rennie's comments
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

Quote Originally Posted by BikingBud View Post
    How does someone calculate unnatural arm angle on the spot? Perhaps refer to the treatment of renowned a Sri Lankan bowler.

That aside if you see Beale's head and eyes he never tracks the ball and he even has his eyes closed as he awaits the tackle. Tompkins knows that and throws out a speculative pass and get the ref to buy it
    I disagree and to me it looked like he tracked it all the way.

The unnatural position of the arm was that it was extended too far to have just been for the tackle wrap.

For me YC all day every day.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    I wonder if the ref will issue a victim impact statement about how he & his family have been traumatised by Rennie's comments
    Nice try.

Nothing to say about the actual outburst itself?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

the welsh try was very odd. I understand the TMO analysis that the ball went backwards -- but I don't understand why the ref didn't blow the whistle when it happened.. see that once on saturday in real time and peep, knock on.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by belladonna View Post
    Nice try.

Nothing to say about the actual outburst itself?
    I don't have any particular interest in coaches' outbursts. I find the subsequent reactions much more interesting.
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Thread Information